MIRI: Suarah Petroleum Group (SPG) yesterday (21st September, 2019) held its 4th Annual General Meeting in Miri, Sarawak.
SPG’s members at the AGM reaffirmed their support and commitment towards assisting the Sarawak Government in addressing and redressing all Oil & Gas issues related to Sarawak.
In particular SPG remains fully committed to ensuring that the following 7 Resolutions and proposed Action Plans passed at the 1st Sarawak Oil & Gas Seminar and Exhibition (SOGSE) held in Miri on 13th and 14th April 2019 are put into effect for the benefit of Sarawak and all Sarawakians, namely:
- To support the Sarawak Government’s efforts to reaffirm its inalienable rights of ownership & control of Sarawak’s Oil & Gas resources via the Oil Mining Ordinance 1958, in accordance with the Malaysia Agreement 1963, the Sarawak Constitution and the Federal Constitution.
- To support the Sarawak Government’s desire to engage with the Federal Government towards having a mutually agreeable formula while working towards the resolutions on the legality issues so as not to disrupt the progress and development of Sarawak’s Oil & Gas industry and businesses.
- To ensure a sustainable, secure and affordable development of Sarawak’s Oil & Gas resources through a comprehensive Sarawak Oil & Gas Masterplan, covering the total Oil & Gas value chain, including to consider the establishment of a Sovereign Oil & Gas Wealth Fund for the benefits of future generations of Sarawakians.
- To propose to the Sarawak Government to enhance the Sarawak Minerals Management Authority (SMMA) to monitor, regulate and enforce Sarawak’s prevailing laws and formulate new laws and regulations relating to all Oil & Gas operations in Sarawak with the aim of improving the prospectivity of acquiring, investing, developing and producing Sarawak Oil and Gas assets.
- To call for the establishment of a Sarawak Petroleum Consultative Council comprised of a broad spectrum of stakeholders particularly from the Oil & Gas industry in collaboration with the State in ensuring maximum value creation, effective management and meaningful returns from all Oil & Gas activities and matters affecting Sarawak.
- To call for the Sarawak Government to expeditiously establish local content baseline and policy in terms of value of all Oil and Gas contracts given out in Sarawak to be allocated to genuine Sarawakian companies and to prioritise the employment of local human resources and the use of Sarawakian Oil and Gas Services and Equipment (OGSE) vendors.
- To promote innovation initiatives that underpin the future development of Sarawak’s Oil and Gas industry by establishing a Sarawak Oil & Gas Innovation Centre (SOGIC) in Miri as realised in SOGSE 2019.
The AGM gave its full and undivided support to the newly appointed Board of Directors of SPG to pursue and implement with utmost vigour these 7 Resolutions and proposed Action Plans, especially SOGIC, which has already been approved by the Chief Minister at SOGSE 2019 itself, the Sarawak Oil and Gas Masterplan and the Sarawak Oil & Gas Sovereign Wealth Fund.
SPG is now actively working together with Curtin University and other stakeholders to set up SOGIC and will update on the progress in due course.
At the AGM, the following members were duly elected to the Board of Directors of SPG, namely Ir Jamel Matin Ibrahim, Abang Iskandar Abang Muas, Boniface Bait, Ryan Ng, Hamim Yusuf, Mark Chella, Maharon Jadid, YB Yakub Arbi, Mzalina Ibrahim Ahmad, Dato Rahman Lariwoo, Ir Dr Abang Hatta, Ts Dr Hj Abdul Kuddus Hj Ramli, Ummar Mohd Noor and Sulaiman Bujang.
At the subsequent Board meeting in the afternoon, the following office bearers were duly appointed: Ir Jamel Matin Ibrahim as President, Abang Iskandar Abang Muas as Deputy President, Boniface Bait as Hon. Secretary and Ryan Ng as Hon. Treasurer.
The AGM also mandated the SPG Board of Directors to undertake a membership drive to bring in both younger members as well as those with experience in the Oil and Gas industry so as to ensure continuity in SPG’s efforts to seek economic parity for future generations of Sarawakians.
Newly elected Board of Directors and members of SPG
SPG Media Communications Unit
22nd September, 2019